CONNECT2CE aims at tackling the weak accessibility of regional, peripheral and cross-border areas of Central Europe to/from the main regional/national/EU transport networks and hubs, caused by the long-lasting phenomenon of urbanization. A consequence of this has brought about a steady decreasing of the rural population, thus leading to lower density and sparsely populated rural and peripheral areas, where efficient public transport (PT) is challenging. CONNECT2CE will enhance the qualitative and quantitative understanding and the awareness of present and future regional public transport systems in CE and endow project partners, authorities and regional PT operators with tools and skills to shape their PT policies. Ultimately, this will improve the capacities of the public sector in CE to efficiently plan peripheral and cross-border public transport systems.
CONNECT2CE will do so by elaborating harmonized and coordinated transnational strategies, action plans, and tools to be mainstreamed and implemented at regional and cross-border level through pilot actions, in three areas all connected and intertwined with one another and all being essential elements that contribute to the enhancement of PT services of peripheral/cross-border regions:
- Connectivity (PSOs/PSCs, harmonisation of multimodal timetables, regional and cross-border rail services)
- Integrated ticketing and tariff schemes (integration of regional and cross border multimodal tickets will be tested and implemented for the first time),
- Implementation of the most efficient and innovative ICT tools on info-mobility
These outputs will be developed at transnational level, as common solutions to common problems. This approach will be applied throughout the duration of the project, by the active participation of all project partners in all work packages applying the elaborated territorial strategies and action plans at local, regional and cross-border level, thereby combining transport and territorial development.
Project title: Improved rail connections and smart mobility in Central Europe (CONNECT2CE)
Programme: Interreg CENTRAL EUROPE
Total budget: 2.703.435,20 EUR
Project duration: 01.06.2017 - 31.05.2020
Lead Partner: Central European Initiative - Executive Secretariat
- Accademia Europea Bolzano/Bozen
- Società Ferrovie Udine Cividale s.r.l.
- Győr-Sopron -Ebenfurti Vasút Zrt.
- HŽ Putnički prijevoz d.o.o.
- KTI Közlekedéstudományi Intézet Nonprofit Korlátolt Felelősségű Társaság
- Prometni institut Ljubljana d.o.o.
- Plzeňský kraj
- Regionalmanagement Burgenland GmbH
- Slovenske železnice-Potniški promet, d.o.o.
- Regione Veneto
- Intermodal Transport Cluster
- VBB Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH
More about CONNECT2CE project can be found at http://www.interreg-central.eu/Content.Node/CONNECT2CE.html.